Having a complete guide to the sizes and formats available for social media is the first step in a successful digital media strategy. Therefore, Nerdweb has prepared a complete guide with all the standard size of images and videos used on major platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Youtube, Twitter, WhatsApp and TikTok.
Image and Video Sizes for Facebook
Facebook is the social network most used by Brazilians, with over 100 million active users every month. To reach this audience with assertiveness and make your fanpage optimized, it is important to save your images in PNG format and with a size smaller than 1 MB, so that the tool does not convert the file to JPG and lose its original quality. If you want to use JPEG, try to use the maximum quality aspect at 300 DPI, so that the compression is as low as possible.
GIFs, however, follow the same specifications as videos, but the recommended maximum upload size is up to 8 MB for easy mobile uploading.
To find out what the requirements are for ads and to get the specs such as image or video dimensions, file sizes and character limits, we recommend visiting the Facebook Ads Guide .
Cover and profile for Groups, Events and personal page on Facebook
- Cover Image: 820 x 312 px
- Cover Image for Groups: 640 x 334 px
- Event cover image: 1920 x 1080 px
- Profile image: 180 x 180 px
Facebook Feed Posts
- Post with image: 1200 x 1200 px
- Post with link and image: 1200 x 628 px
- Facebook Stories: 1080 x 1920 px
Facebook Image Ads**
- Single image ad: 400 x 500 px (minimum)
- Ad with link and image: 1080 x 1080 px (recommended)
- Carousel Ad: 1080 x 1080 px (recommended)
* See all specs in the Facebook Ads Guide .
Image and Video Sizes for Instagram
Instagram, in general, follows the same image specifications as Facebook, but presents the different format of Stories , time-limited videos in the feed and IGTV .
About ad formats, we recommend visiting the Business Help Center to see the design requirements for ads in the feed and for ads in Instagram stories.
- Profile image: 720 x 720 px
- Square feed image: 1080 x 1080 px
- Vertical feed image: 1080 x 1350 px (maximum height)
- Horizontal feed image: 1080 x 566 px (minimum height)
- Instagram Stories: 1080 x 1920 px
- Video on IGTV: 9:16 ratio
- Maximum Time: 15 minutes when uploading from a mobile device and 60 minutes when uploading from the web.
- Minimum resolution of 720 pixels
- Maximum Size: 3.6GB
Image Size for LinkedIn
LinkedIn is a social network dedicated to professional networking, allowing the sharing of information about careers, vacancies, courses and trends in the labor market. The way the platform works is not very different from other social networks: you can share posts of images and videos in the feed and interact with other users.
To learn more about advertising on the platform, we recommend visiting the LinkedIn Marketing Solution Center to see what ad formats and requirements are available.
Cover and LinkedIn Profile
- Cover Image: 1536 x 768 px
- Profile image: 300 x 300 px
- Post with image: 1200 x 1200 px
- Post with link and image: 1200 x 627 px
Size Images, Videos and GIFs for Twitter
For Twitter, it is better to upload high quality JPG images, as PNG files are automatically converted causing loss of quality. Videos have a smaller time and size limit when compared to Facebook. And GIFs can be published natively to Twitter, with an upload size of up to 5mb via mobile devices and 15mb via desktop.
Twitter also allows you to advertise on its platform and to check the specifications and requirements of the ads, we suggest going to Twitter for Business .
Twitter profile and cover
- Cover Image: 1500 x 500 px
- Profile image: 400 x 400 px
- Post with image: 600 x 335 px (16:9) or 1200 x 1200 px (1:1)
- Post with link and image: 800 x 418 px (1.91:1) or 800 x 800 px (1:1)
YouTube Image Size
The cover of your Youtube channel is viewed according to the device used to watch it, having a maximum size for Ultra HD TVs and minimum cuts for access via smartphone. Use the security area to include key cover information, such as the channel name or slogan.
For the full video upload specs, you can access the complete Youtube Guide.
Pay special attention when creating your video thumbnail , it appears in the search result, in the list of related videos and is used to attract the user’s click to watch the full video.
Youtube profile and cover
- Channel cover image (Main info: 1546 x 423 px):
- TV: 2560 x 1440 px
- Desktop: 2560 x 423 px
- Tablet: 1855 x 423 px
- Smartphones: 1546 x 423 px
- Channel profile image: 800 x 800 px
Thumbnail on Youtube
- Thumbnail of videos: 1280 x 720 px
Picture and Video Size for Pinterest
On Pinterest it is common to see pins (posts) with “stretched” images, this does not cause usability problems, but to delight and provide a better user experience, it is recommended to follow the specifications of content formats recommended by Pinterest .
Pinterest also allows you to advertise on its platform, and to check all ad specifications and requirements, we suggest going to Pinterest for Business .
- Profile image: 720 x 720 px
Pinterest Folder Covers and Pins
- Pin: ratio 2: 3 – 1000 x 1500 px (recommended)
- Folder cover: 200 x 200 px
Image Size for WhatsApp
There is no limit on the dimensions for sending images on WhatsApp, but the application “crops” images with a resolution greater than 1:1 and the images appear in square format in the chat.
With WhatsApp Business , companies started to use the application to communicate with their audience and that is why it is important to take care of the proportions of the images sent, to help in the positive perception of the brand.
Although little explored, it is also possible to publish on WhatsApp Status (similar to Instagram Stories). Check the specifications below to optimize this display.
- Profile image: 192 x 192 px
Thumbnail and Status in WhatsApp
- Thumbnail of the image in the conversation: 600×600 px
- WhatsApp Status: 1080 x 1920 px
Picture and Video Size for TikTok
TikTok is a video sharing application, which provides different types of effects for editing, allows the use of hashtags to expand the reach of publications, allows the sharing of videos outside the platform, among other features. Not only people, but many companies use the platform to generate engagement and reach their audience.
Although there aren’t many options yet, it’s worth evaluating how marketing works using TikTok for Business .
Do you still have questions about sizing and creating images and videos on social media? Nerdweb can help with your digital placement strategy. Get in touch with us and enjoy what new media has to offer for your brand!