Social media advertising (SMM) is a type of online marketing by which companies (bloggers, websites, firms, brands, etc.) interact with potential customers. SMM stands for Social Media Marketing.
As part of SMM promotion, it is decided what content and when to publish, how to respond to comments and reviews, how to encourage people to leave comments and reviews, what tricks to use to increase activity, and much more.
What is SMM promotion for? It is used to increase brand awareness, expand the audience, attract new subscribers and customers, increase the popularity or number of sales, audience loyalty.
SMM is a versatile tool that can be used by companies of any size and direction. All you need for work is a page or group on social networks. And today you will receive 9 useful tips to help you make your online promotion effective.
1. Define goals
You must be clear about what you want to achieve with marketing. Examples of goals:
- increase the number or percentage of sales;
- attract a certain number of new subscribers;
- increase site traffic;
- increase the average check amount;
- increase audience reach;
- increase brand awareness;
- increase audience activity and engagement;
Try to be as specific as possible about the goal and make it measurable. In addition to the main goal, make a list of subtasks. The choice of a promotion strategy depends on all this.
2. Choose a promotion strategy
Professional management of pages and groups in social networks (business level) cannot be chaotic. You cannot publish 10 posts in one day, and then disappear for two weeks, you cannot rush from region to region, you cannot constantly change the format of submission of materials, or, conversely, just pour footcloths of the text.
The general concept, regularity and uniformity of design are important for promotion. This is briefly about the main thing. In general, there are many details, all of them must be taken into account when drawing up a promotion strategy.
Perhaps you already have an idea, some thoughts and pictures appear in your head. But all this needs to be structured and moreover made competitive. In general, you cannot do without a preparatory stage.
Before developing the strategy itself, pay attention to this:
- Set achievable and realistic promotion goals. They should be time-limited and measurable (number, percentage, ratio, etc.).
- If you already have some developments and pages, then analyze them. Pay attention to the activity and involvement of the audience, the number of subscribers, the content and presentation of information, the reaction of the audience to certain posts (study both the topic and the design), the frequency and regularity of publications. Compare this to the goals you want to achieve. What in the current state of affairs can help you, and what hinders you? What were you doing right and what were you wrong before?
- Look for reviews of your site, product, etc. See who, where, how often and in what context mentions your business.
- Analyze the sites and / or pages of competitors. Think about what promotion methods you can adopt and how you can surpass your competitors.
- Create a portrait of your target audience. The main positions that you must indicate: gender, geolocation, age, social status, marital status, income level, interests. Consider the characteristics that are important to your business.
- Develop a unique proposal. Immediately identify the strengths and weaknesses of the product for yourself.
- Decide on your promotion budget.
Now you can proceed to the direct development of the strategy. And the first thing you need to define is the format. Maybe it will be an information blog or a group with video reviews or a page (group) with sales.
What are you planning to do: educate, entertain, sell, help? Based on this, create a content plan.
But first, you need to decide on the analytics criteria (you also need to track the path towards the goal) and on the promotion channels. You might focus on blogger ads or targeted ads or page content, contests, etc.
3. Decide on social media
The choice of the network depends on the goals and concept. I think you have heard that now the most popular is Intagram, then Telegram and Facebook, and a little further – Vkontakte. It really depends on the type of your business. Conventionally, we can single out universal and narrowly targeted sites.
Universal social networks:
Business Network: LinkedIn.
Most entrepreneurs turn to several social networks and messengers (Telegram, Viber, WhatsApp). This is wise: the more contacts you have, the wider your reach. However, remember your goals and the portrait of your target audience.
4. Remember the peculiarities of promotion in different networks
I propose to go straight to the thesis consideration of the key features that are important for promotion. Let’s explore the most popular social networks.
- every community and every user can post stories;
- there is an opportunity for verification (confirmation of the official page, community);
- both on your page and in the community, you can add products (with price, description);
- you can create a podcast and analyze your listening statistics;
- for publications, the emphasis is placed approximately the same on text and pictures.
- photos, pictures, stories attract more attention than text;
- hashtags are indexed more actively, it is important to pay special attention to them;
- the quality of information is more important than quantity (robots assess user engagement, cheating is quickly “declassified”);
- more opportunities for creativity and audience engagement, maintaining feedback (for example, you can create unique masks, conduct polls and polls right in the story).
- there is a chatbot, which simplifies and stimulates interaction with the audience (you can immediately register answers to popular questions and make the option to redirect to the manager);
- you can watch and discuss the video in real time with your subscribers;
- you can link the page to other social networks and combine advertising campaigns.
Determine exactly where your subscribers and customers live, what they like (read, watch, write). And also consider what content you plan to publish (photos, videos, texts).
5. Use basic SMM tools
I’m sure you are already familiar with each of the main SMM methods, but you may not have known that this has to do with promotion:
- A lot of interesting and useful information with different presentation formats (content marketing).
- Promotions (sweepstakes, promotional codes, discounts, points and bonuses, gifts and prizes, live broadcasts, master classes, webinars, flash mobs).
- Interaction with well-known bloggers (joint broadcasts, advertising, exchange of opinions, “leaking” secret information about new products and brand promotions (the blogger, as it were, secretly tells his subscribers about this, distributes promotional codes).
- Personal success stories.
- Promo characters (cat Matroskin and his company at the Prostokvashino brand, Sberkot at Sberbank, Mister Proper and many others).
- Feedback (section “question-answer”, instant responses to comments and appeals, discussion posts, polls).
- Newsletters by mail or within a social network (for example, in VK you can subscribe not only to updates from the community, but also to newsletters about promotions, interesting offers).
There are two more basic methods of promotion: advertising in other communities and targeted advertising.
6. Pay attention to the content
Remember the two main principles when it comes to filling a group or page:
- maximum benefit in minimum amount;
- the ratio of entertainment (40%), educational (25%), brand (30%) and advertising (5%) information.
Let’s briefly go through the types of information:
- Entertaining content that is also engaging. Helps to grab the audience’s attention and keep it. Examples of what relates to entertainment materials: memes, games, quotes, thematic selections (for example, the rating of books on making money on the Internet), polls, contests, giveaways.
- Educational or informational content. Helps people understand that they are dealing with an expert. Examples of educational material: master classes, instructions, tips and tricks, lessons.
- Branded content. Its goal is to increase audience loyalty, build trust in your brand. Examples of publications: reports, diplomas, certificates, posting “behind the scenes”, current news, work with reviews and wishes.
- Advertising content. This can be both direct sales of your products and services, and affiliate advertising. For example, if you run a travel blog, but you yourself are not a representative of a travel company, then you can advertise the services of travel companies, passenger transport organizations, car rental companies and receive a percentage of sales or, in fact, for an advertising post.
Remember that every post should fit the overall vision of your community or page. And also your unique presentation style should be visible. This is called the voice of the brand.
7. Use helper programs
The more groups you lead, the wider the audience reach, the more popular the brand, the more difficult it is to do SMM manually. Therefore, it is worth using special services:
- Popsters – analysis of the popularity of posts (by likes, reposts, views, engagement);
- SMM planner – automation of publications, deferred posting;
- SocialKit – auto-posting and deferred posting, collecting hashtags, automatically adding likes according to the criteria that you specify (promotion aid);
- Canva is an image editor, also suitable for creating presentations;
- Supa – video builder for creating short videos;
- Minter (only for Insta) – analytics of the page (reach, percentage of engagement, reaction to posts) and audience (by interests, publications, communities);
- Kuku – analytics, auto-posting, content plan creation;
- Brand Analytics Express – tracking any mentions of the brand on social networks and other platforms;
- Reportkey – creating beautiful reports (Remember when we said that to increase audience loyalty, you need to share the success and deeds of the company?).
These are just a few basic helper programs, in fact there are many more. If you do not like / do not suit something from the list, then you can find an analogue yourself. In addition, the choice of programs depends on the type of your business and your needs.
8. Remember common mistakes
You need to remember about common mistakes in SMM in order to avoid them in your promotion.
TOP errors in promotion:
- violation of network rules or laws of the Russian Federation;
- provocative posts, especially in large numbers (for example, posts on the topic of religion);
- too frequent and too rare publications (optimal – 2 posts every day);
- elimination of negative reviews and comments, ignoring or blocking those users who criticize;
- no feedback;
- imbalance in the content of the content (benefit, advertising, entertainment);
- predictability (remember that every post you post will be read and only expect if you surprise your audience on a regular basis).
If you are promoting the same project on different social networks, then make sure that posts overlap, but not repeat. Make links, encourage readers to visit another social network, second, third, your site, etc.
9. Focus on SMM checklist
In the work of an SMM manager, there are several lists of responsibilities: daily, weekly, monthly, periodic (optional). Let’s take a look at each of them separately.
Things to do daily:
- check comments, messages, letters, chats, friend requests, etc.;
- make a list of tasks for the day;
- publish and schedule posts, including stories and photos, videos (any content format);
- read news from the world of SMM, follow trends;
- analyze and create;
- track the effectiveness of targeted advertising, launch advertising campaigns or issue assignments for targetologists;
- check the work of employees, if you do not manage everything yourself (copywriters, content managers, targetologists, designers, photographers, etc.);
- take stock of the day.
Things to do weekly:
- schedule tasks for the week and make a detailed content plan;
- analyze what kind of specialists you need, look for suitable personnel;
- draw up and distribute technical specifications (technical assignments) to employees;
- select promotion tools (promotions, contests, polls, etc.);
- follow and (or) organize promotions, contests, etc.;
- analyze the satisfaction of primary goals and objectives, select the best means of promotion, including the format of posts, topics;
- look for partners, contact bloggers, negotiate advertising for your product;
- analyze statistics of activity in a group or on a page, monitor order and discipline (remove bots, ban freaks).
What to do every two weeks:
- analyze frequent requests in comments and messages, list them;
- come up with creative ideas for brand promotion;
- engage in self-development (courses, books, articles, trainings, webinars, etc.);
- analyze promotion statistics, prepare a report for employees and colleagues, partners, conduct a group discussion.
Things to do every month:
- compile a management performance report;
- set goals for the next month;
- plan special projects within or adjacent to the main project;
- update the content (meaning to make significant innovations, for example, not just change the format of the material, but add a new heading);
- be determined with the most important events for the next month;
- connect with influencers;
- analyze competitors;
- analyze the effectiveness of old hashtags and select new tags;
- analyze the relevance, focus, relevance of existing headings, posts, albums, etc.
Periodically, you need to analyze the entire promotion strategy. Remember at the very beginning of this article we talked about goals? They must be constantly remembered. According to them, it is necessary to analyze the effectiveness of the current strategy.
Social networks have long ceased to be just a means of communication and entertainment. It is now a complete business tool. Advertising on social networks (SMM) allows you to significantly increase the number of sales, audience coverage, brand awareness.
A competent advertising policy allows you to quickly launch and promote a business or bring what you already have to a new level. Do not forget that everything is changing rapidly in the world of online marketing, keep track of trends and news, analyze what your audience is reacting to.
There is no single algorithm for conducting and promoting business in networks. Each person chooses his own path of success.
Sincerely, Svetlana Troshina
specially for the proudalenku.ru project