In this article, you will learn:
- How to make a business account on Instagram.
- What is a business page and what is it for.
- Advantages and disadvantages of a business profile.
- How to design a page for business.
- How to transfer a business account back to a personal profile.
All recommendations and tips are relevant in 2020. At the end of the article, we will answer frequently asked questions on the topic of publication.
Business account: what it is and why you need it
An Instagram business account is a profile that opens up useful functions for running and promoting a business on a social network. This type of account is suitable for online stores, brands, restaurants and cafes, private craftsmen (for example, a manicurist or a repairman of household appliances).
We can say that a business page is an alternative to an author account: the first is for entrepreneurs and organizations, and the second is for bloggers and stars.
The Business Profile unlocks the following options:
- Statistics. A section with statistics will open in the profile menu, where the owner of the Instagram page can see how the audience interacts with the posts.
- Shopping Tags. Online stores can add special tags to photos – they are called Shopping Tags – when clicking on which will open information about the product and the price. Unfortunately, this feature is not yet available in Russia.
- Promotion of publications. This will open access to advertising – promoting the page and individual posts.
- Contacts in the header. You can add clickable contacts to your profile header: for example, the “Call” button or the address where your office / store is located.
Benefits and business profile disadvantages
Before switching from a personal page to a business account, let’s take a look at the pros and cons of this profile.
- Access to statistics. Now you can track which posts your target audience likes. Based on this information, create a competent content plan.
- Advertising. You will be able to launch the promo post directly from the Instagram mobile app. This is the best way to promote your profile.
- Comfortable communication with customers. There will be clickable contacts in the profile header. This will make it easier for potential customers to find your establishment on the map. They can also quickly contact you by phone or email.
- Audience loyalty. A well-designed business account – with a beautiful avatar, description and contacts – increases the audience’s confidence in your company. This factor increases sales.
- You cannot make a private profile. To reopen this opportunity, you need to switch the business page to a personal account.
- Falling coverage. This is more of a myth: the social network algorithm “cuts” the organic reach of commercial accounts. Posts are no longer included in recommendations. There is no official confirmation of this information. So don’t be afraid to connect your business account.
Read our article “How to get into Instagram recommendations”. This material will be useful in promoting your profile: you will learn how to get more organic traffic for your posts.
How to make an Instagram business account: step by step instructions
Let’s move on to the practical part of the article and create a business account. All actions will be described in the format of step-by-step instructions. The manual is relevant for Android and iOS devices (iPhones, iPads).
Before transferring your personal profile to a business page, connect your Instagram account to your Facebook profile. To do this, read our article “How to Link Instagram to Facebook in 2020”. This is necessary so that you can promote your publications.
Launch the Instagram app on your smartphone or tablet. Open the profile menu and go to the “Settings” section.
Then go to the “Account” section. At the end of the list there is an option “Switch to a professional account”.
A new window “Which of the following describes you best?” will open. We choose “Business”.
Read a brief description of the business profile features: information is displayed on three screens. Now you need to select a category.
The category should match your business. This section contains a list of recommended categories. If you do not find the activity you need in the list, then use the search.
Let’s say you are a fitness center owner. Write “fitness center” in the search and select the appropriate category from the list.
You can later change the category in the profile editor.
Check your contact information: be sure to include your current mail and phone number. Customers will use these contacts to call and write. If there is an offline point: for example, a store, office or gym, then indicate the exact address of the company.
Next, Instagram will offer to link the account to the Facebook page. You can skip this step.
Done, your business account has been successfully created. Now the profile has new useful options. We’ll talk about them in the next section.
This is important: Do you dream of becoming popular on Instagram and start making more than 50,000 a month? Do you want to attract new business clients? Zengram will help you with this.
This is a completely safe tool for professional promotion on Instagram. The tool works automatically – interacts with your target audience. The results of the promotion will be in 2-3 hours after the start.
Give it a try, the first 3 days of work are free.
Start promoting your Instagram account for free >>>
How to set up a business account: 3 recommendations
Now let’s set up a business account. First, I’ll show you how to view statistics; then we will add contacts to the header and learn how to promote publications.
The first useful option that appeared after connecting a business profile is statistics. To view statistics, open the account menu and go to the “Statistics” section.
There are three sections here:
- Content. Information about the post and stories is displayed here.
- Actions. This section shows the number of interactions with the profile in the last 7 days. Visits, likes, comments are taken into account.
- Audience. Here you can track your audience growth. When you collect 100 subscribers, detailed information about the target audience will open: gender, age, etc.
Adding contacts to the header
Let’s add buttons for communication to the header. To do this, go to the profile editor – the “Edit” button on the main page.
In the section “Public information about the company” specify the methods of communication. Then go to the “Show in profile” section.
Here you can turn off the display of the category label and contact information. But it’s better to leave everything unchanged – these buttons significantly increase conversions.
Let’s move on to one more tool – the promotion of publications. Open the feed you want – for example, an ad post where you’re offering a discount on gym membership.
There is a “Promote” button under the photo – click on it.
After that, you will be taken to the advertising office, where you need to select the target audience who will see the post. You also need to link a card to pay for advertising.
How to design a business page: 4 tips
Let’s talk a little about setting up a business account. A well-filled profile is more credible to the audience. Thanks to this, sales and conversion to subscribers grow.
4 tips for designing a business page:
- Come up with a nice nickname. For example, the name of a brand or company. Be sure to read our article “How to come up with a nickname on Instagram.”
- Add a description to the header. Tell us about the company and the field of activity. To do this, you need to fill in the “About me” box. You can add an active link to WhatsApp or website. Be sure to read the article “How to make an active link on Instagram.”
- Make a pretty avatar. If you are a private master – then add a personal photo; brands can upload their logo.
- Create a consistent style for your posts.
How to switch a business page to a regular profile
Now let’s switch the business account to a personal profile. Disabling a business page is easy: just open the settings in the Instagram app and go to the Account section.
At the end of the list there is an option “Switch to personal account”. This feature deactivates the business profile.
But remember that after that you will no longer have additional options: statistics, advertising, Shopping Tags, clickable contacts in the header …
One line: answers to frequently asked questions
Now you know how to create a business account on Instagram. Let’s answer frequently asked questions – we’ll cover topics that were not included in the main part of the article.
Are there limits for creating business accounts?
Many users are interested in how many business pages can be created. As such, there are no restrictions: all you need to do is connect a second profile in the application and transfer it to a professional account.
Instagram profile does not switch to a business account: what to do?
Try restarting the application. If the problem persists, uninstall and reinstall Instagram.
Can I create a business account from a computer?
No, you can only connect a professional profile from your phone.